History of the Branch Museum
In 1990, the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Kempten inaugurated the Alpine Museum on the upper two floors of the Marstall (royal stables) of the former princely residence, which was built in 1730. The concept of the exhibition was developed in cooperation with the German Alpine Association and illustrated the relationship between humans and the mountains. In 2018, the city closed the neighbouring Allgäu Museum due to essential renovation work. At the same time, the city of Kempten decided to use the Marstall as a municipal property for its municipal museums in the future. The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum will therefore withdraw from Kempten by the end of 2023.
Arrival & Contact
How to get there
The branch museum at Kempten is permanently closed.
Contact at Bayerisches Nationalmuseum:
Dr. Sybe Wartena