Dedication relief from the Lawrence Chapel at the Old Court in Munich
This relief is a key work of art in Bavaria from the first half of the 14th century. This period bears the hallmark of Ludwig the Bavarian, the first and for a long time the only Wittelsbach to become Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Due to the manifold artistic endeavours during his time, it is now commonly referred to as the 'court art of Ludwig the Bavarian'. As its centrepiece, this work depicts the donors Emperor Ludwig and his second wife, Margaret of Holland. They present to Mary, the Mother of God, the chapel of their imperial residence, which was located at the Alter Hof in Munich. This is also where between 1324 and 1350 the imperial regalia were kept. They included the crown, the holy lance and the imperial sword.