New on Bavarikon: Jewellery from the Lauingen princely crypt
The most important ensemble of Renaissance jewellery from our collection on Bavarikon
The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum’s (Bavarian National Museum) collection includes a singular ensemble of jewellery from the 16th and early 17th centuries. They are precious pendants, chains, bracelets, belts, rings, agrafes (hat jewellery) and buttons, mostly made in gold enamel. The total of 135 individual objects come from the family crypt of the Protestant Palatinate-Neuburg line, built in 1565 by Count Palatine Wilhelm of Zweibrücken and Neuburg (1526-1569) in the church of St Martin in Lauingen on the Danube. Until 1664, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, as well as women who married into the Palatinate-Neuburg line, were buried in the crypt, provided they were Protestant.
The project was supported by bavarikon. Kultur und Wissensschätze Bayerns.
To Bavarikon (external page)