Schloss Lustheim

Meißener Porzellan-Sammlung

Meißener Porzellan-Sammlung – Stiftung Ernst Schneider

Schloss Lustheim
Meißener Porzellan-Sammlung Stiftung Ernst Schneider

Lustheim 1
85764 Oberschleißheim
+49 89 315872-42

Homepage Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung
0 Lustheim Aussenansicht

The first branch museum of the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum was installed in Schloss Lustheim (Lustheim Palace) in 1971 and houses the collection of Meissen porcelain donated to the State of Bavaria by Dr Ernst Schneider (1900-1977). In scope and importance, the collection is only comparable to the porcelain collection at the Zwinger in Dresden. The more than 2000 exquisite objects offer an impressive overview of the diversity of Meissen production in its heyday in the 18th century.


Category Schloss Lustheim Schloss Lustheim + Altes Schloss + Neues Schloss
Regular EUR 5.00 10.00
Children and young people* under 19 years free free
Concessions EUR 4.00 EUR 4.00
* Students over 18 from general schools, vocational schools, special schools and schools for sick children in accordance with Article 6 (2) of the Bavarian Education Law (BayEUG) are also admitted free on production of a student identity card. Students from “second chance” schools (evening schools leading to intermediate or higher secondary school qualifications, colleges) in accordance with Article 6 (2) No. 1e of the Bavarian Education Law and language school students are not admitted free of charge. Further informations on the Homepage of the Bavarian Palace Administration

Unfortunately, it is not possible to pay by card at the Schleißheim Palaces ticket office.


The Meissen porcelain collection of the Ernst Schneider Foundation ranges from the first porcelains of the Böttger period to dishes with imaginative chinoiseries and the legendary swan service, which conveys an idea of the splendour of Baroque banqueting tables. A highlight are the large-format animal figures by the master modeller Johann Joachim Kaendler

Saengerin der Affenkapelle

Singer of the "Monkey Chapel", c. 1760

Ostasiatischer Lackkasten fuer Meissener Teeservice

East Asian lacquer box with tête à tête, c. 1755


Vase with lotus decoration, c. 1730

History of the Branch Museum


In 1968, Professor Dr Ernst Schneider (1900-1977) donated his important porcelain collection to the Free State of Bavaria. With this transfer came the obligation to exhibit it in Lustheim Palace as the "Meissen Porcelain Collection Ernst Schneider Foundation". The hunting lodge and garden palace was built on the occasion of Elector Max Emanuel's marriage to the Habsburg emperor's daughter Maria Antonia in 1685. Located on the eastern edge of Schleißheim Park, it was extensively renovated for use as a branch museum.


Arrival & Contact

How to get there by car or train

Getting here by car:
The municipality of Oberschleißheim is located in the north of Munich and can be reached via the motorways A 92 (exit "Oberschleißheim") and A 99 (exit "Neuherberg") and also via the roads B 13 and B 471.

Getting here by train:

From Munich take the S-Bahn (suburban railway) number 1 (direction "Freising / Flughafen") to "Oberschleißheim". From the S-Bahn you can either walk (10-15 minutes to the Old and New Schleißheim Palace) or take the bus, line 295 (Monday-Friday only) or line 292, to the "Schloss" stop (Old and New Palace). Bus 295 also goes to the U2 as far as the "Am Hart" stop, bus 292 also goes to the U6 as far as the "Garching-Hochbrück" stop.

Deutsche Bahn DB S-Bahn and U-Bahn


Schloss Lustheim
Lustheim 1
85764 Oberschleißheim
+49 89 315872-42


Contact at Bayerisches Nationalmuseum:
Dr. Katharina Hantschmann

Contact Schloss Lustheim:

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Schleißheim
Max-Emanuel-Platz 1
85764 Oberschleißheim
089 315872-0