Collection

D126522
D126528
D126530

Tankard

Details

Johann Gregorius Höroldt

Meissen Porcelain Factory, c. 1723/1724

Hard-paste porcelain, silver, gilded

H. 18.2 cm

Assigned from the Royal Collections of the House of Wittelsbach in 1858

Inv. No. Ker 1536

Gallery 99

Ceramics, Porcelain

Baroque and Rococo

Description

Many of the precious porcelains at the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum originally came from the Wittelsbach court and can be traced back to the 18th century. Due to their family relationship with the Saxon court, the Bavarian electors owned Meissen porcelains from the early period of the factory. This also explains the extraordinary significance of our collection. The tankard from the Munich Residenz dates also from the factory's early period. It was probably painted by Johann Gregorius Höroldt, the ingenious inventor of Meissen porcelain coulours. Two gentlemen are depicted enjoying a game of cards with their ladies on a palace terrace. The vivid plasticity of his figures is typical for Höroldt's style.

More Objects