Collection

D178591
D178603
D178611

Covered beaker from the Ingolstadt council silver

Details

Hanns Greiff

Ingolstadt, c. 1480/1490

Silver, partly gilded, enamel

H. 32.5 cm

Acquired from the art trade in 1865

Inv. No. MA 3635

Gallery 9

Goldsmithing

Gothic

Description

The magnificent covered beaker, together with four other late Gothic silver cups, formed the centrepiece of Ingolstadt's council silver. Such silver treasures were considered to be the most precious expression of municipal representation. It was used on official occasions or at least put on display. In 1813, Ingolstadt's council silver had to be auctioned off and is now scattered all over the world. This virtuoso embossed cup with its sturdy bulges on the wall and lid rests on three statuettes of St George. On the inside of the lid is the coat of arms of Hanns Glätzl (d. 1494). He was a member of the Inner and Outer Council and at times Mayor of Ingolstadt.

More Objects