School Certificate for good conduct from Prague’s K. K. Normal School
- Franz Anton Steinsky, Johann Gustav Berka
- Etching and copperplate engraving, inscribed on both sides with pen and ink in brown-black (iron gall ink) on handmade vergé paper
- H. 18,5 cm
- Nicht ausgestellt
- Inventory Number
- Sammlung Rolf von Hoerschelmann
The educational reforms under Maria Theresa of Austria included the introduction of compulsory schooling in Bohemia in 1774 and the establishment of model schools, so-called Normal Schools or Normal Colleges, which served as institutions for training teachers.
Johann Wagner received a "commendation for his good conduct" as a pupil of the second grade at the K. K. Normal School in Prague on 1 June 1794. The certificate is adorned with a pigtail-style vignette. It depicts a pedestal with the name of the school, upon which examination papers, loose leafs of paper, books, a blackboard, a globe and a medal of honour on a ribbon are placed.
Franz Anton Steinsky, the illustrator of the original pattern, began his career at the Prague Normal School as a Professor of Penmanship and moved to the Prague University of Applied Sciences in 1784 as a Professor of Historical Auxiliary Sciences.